Monday, November 20, 2006

Born in the USA

Well, although it was the first (and hopefully the last) time I have ever returned home against my will, it still feels good to be here. I returned to Washington, DC last week amidst the fall palette of orange, red, and yellow colors topped off with 70 degree Indian summer weather. It softened the slight humiliation of coming back 10 months earlier than I had anticipated. It's a little like getting divorced right after your wedding. Well, I imagine it's kind of like that.

On the plane ride home, I watched the movie "Peaceful Warrior" three times. It's a great movie based on the book by Dan Millman entitled "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior". Perhapd three times in a row is excessive but it got me through what was a low point for me. I felt like I had been ripped out of an environment in which I was thriving, happy, learning and loving every moment. The main premise of the movie was similar. This Olympic-quality gymnast gets in a motorcycle accident right before the trials and shatters his leg and is told he may never walk again, let alone compete. Rather than asking, "why did this happen?" he decides to let go of all ego and starts training again, little by little, and eventually reaches to a level higher than he was before. And in just 10 months.

Anyway, the main premise really hit home for me. At this point, I can mope around and question why this happened to me or I can continue to do what I love even if it's harder now. Am thinking of the best way to do that...I think turkey and stuffing will get the creative juices flowing. :-)

No comments: